Unfortunately Tony, whether true or not, most people assume that people and
organizations which wield political power (Penn, UCD, local politicians, etc)
are regularly influencing these organizations. And, of course there won't be
any evidence, nor is Andy necessarily lying (I would assume he is not). It
would be doubtful that UCD, Penn, or any organization would openly pressure,
but rather individuals at high levels would let their preferences be known in
private conversations. Can Andy absolutely state that no member of the UCD
board ever influenced L&I, in any way? I know for a fact that is not true as
I've heard that directly from a board member.

Is it coincidence that any number of actions by L&I, the PPD, Streets Dept or
any other entity focuses efforts at a particular time and place? Maybe, but
there have been plenty of incidents in the past to assume otherwise (for
example the Streets departments redesign of the 38th/Baltimore/University
Avenue intersection was at the time promoted by the City as an effort to
improve traffic. It shortly became clear that it was in fact to build the new
Vet building). There is plenty of anecdotal evidence and hearsay to assume that
any L&I efforts are being influenced by local power brokers - and therefore we
can assume that it is the case as it is more likely than not. And that's not
even with factual evidence such as Glenn points out with the Business Journal
article or the use of UCD workers for political causes.

Of course, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Certainly L&I has plenty of
positives, as does the UCD. And I would argue that more often than not, the
overall effect is positive. However, how many other neighborhoods in the city
get tickets for high grass, trash outside when it isn't supposed to be, etc? It
is illegal to selectively apply enforcement. And in this neighborhood it is
clearly being done.

Darco