On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Karen Allen <kallena...@msn.com> wrote:

> That's absolutely true: Penn sent a representative to a Cedar Park
> Neighbors board meeting in 2005 or '06 (somewhere in there) and the woman
> told us that Penn was going to "trade" the island where a gas station had
> been (closer to the VA hospital, where Baltimore and Woodland branched) to
> the City in exchange for closing the roadbed of Baltimore Avenue where it
> intersected 38th St, directly alongside the Vet School. She said they were
> doing it to  reconfigure the intersection to improve traffic flow. Nothing
> was ever said about wanting the roadway of Baltimore Avenue to build a
> building;  I only learned that well after the fact, and not from anyone
> connected with Penn.

Strictly speaking, the roadbed doesn't have a building on it. It's a
pedestrian sidewalk between the old and new Vet buildings.

But I simply cannot believe that Karen's reporting this accurately. What did
she think-- that the project was _just_ a road reconfiguration? Didn't
people see the announcements, the artists' conceptions, the maps, the
website? I sure did. It was _always_ to accommodate a new Vet building.
Artists' conceptions were always part of the presentations. Every
presentation I saw, every web site, every announcement, said that a new Vet
building was going up. This bit about 'they told us it was for traffic flow"
is hard to believe.

What is Karen saying-- that they kept a _whole building project_ as a
_secret_?