(Sorry for the cross post but this list is given equal billing in my
encounters with the community)  PJC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joe Clarke <philly.jo...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Subject: Awareness of Community Listserve(s)
To: ucneighb...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,  I was surprised by the number of people that I mention the
Listserve(s) to,  (UClist and UCneighbors),   and get a blank response.
This weekend I spoke with the homeowner whose house has become the
proverbial lampost for this drunk and fallen tree.  Another was the new
pastor at 46th and Chester (not sure of the name of that church) where they
were having a sidewalk sale.  Another person was a neighbor on Larchwood who
had several pythons for sale. (I thought that the barking cheese founder of
this listserve would be keenly interested in this fellow for his new book
"People and their Pythons" a pictorial history:   A study of the
intersection of American family values and "snake handling, having and
holding" of all sorts...it's a long title, but it's a long subject.)  I let
the fellow know that the list is not for posting "sale" items, per se, but
if he first released them into the community and then reported to the list
that they were lost or stolen, the notice would be the equivalent of front
page news, and would be plastered repeatedly in the in boxes of every
community listserve within barking distance.  And at no extra charge someone
would come to his house to obtain photos of the errant reptiles to be
posted, along with the pet's name, on every telephone pole, bulletin board -
in restaurants, cafe's and coops - in the Universe-city community. (One
exception is Roger who won't post it at Gold Standard since he is still
toying with the idea of including reptile as a strictly non-vegan addition
to the menu.  In typical witty fashion, Roger retorted,  "You can't have
your snake and eat it too."  (It's like the Gong Show there every night, I
swear it!).
  So these people are not only unaware of the utilitarian cornucopia of
these lists, they don't get to appreciate the literately ornate "caseings"
into which this information is shoved. So please get the word out, before
another non-traditional pet owner misses the opportunity to set off a
dragnet for their slithering forlorn companion.

Joe C.

--
"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".    Oscar
Wilde