Nachmias writes: "I would contact University City District... and maybe they have more pull with the police."

Darco,

You and everyone else should be informed that Beau is often off leash too. You should also know that in the past, leaders of civic associations have regularly called for "leash enforcement" while their own dogs were off leash. Many people don't understand that civic association leaders and UCD cheerleaders have reason to believe that two extremely different enforcement policies will give them special privileges against draconian enforcement in this special district. And they might be temporarily correct, like we saw with the bogus trash tickets. (Frank was part of the UCD/FOCP Quality of Life Task Force with me many years ago. Quite frankly, Frank should never be walking Beau off leash, like Sam and I, but not because of a problem with Beau.)

The problem:

These zero tolerance "leash laws" will only destroy an important subculture of our community and will not make anyone any safer from any actual or manufactured problem! The well loved well trained dogs that accompany their humans to play without a leash NEVER "kill and maim" "dogs and children" BUT THEY WILL BE 99.9% OF THE VICTIMS OF LEASH LAWS, AND ALL HEALTHY DOGS WILL THEN DISAPPEAR FROM THIS SHOPPING DISTRICT. Our neighborhood cranks would be on the phone to the cops daily until they were all gone. (Let's not buy into the bull; if Cy killed, maimed, or just drew blood, the cops and legal system could have and would have been used!)

The off leash dogs/humans deter aggressive dogs and are also known to be the best deterrent to human on human crime anywhere near Clark Park. Dogs enormously positive affects, upon the mental and physical health of the entire community, are only beginning to be partially understood! (e.g. The Clark Park dogs, like Sam, have often delivered much needed mental health treatment to children of the anointed, as well as love for the poor children.)

And these benefits from well socialized dogs will be completely destroyed if healthy well trained dogs are the target of zero tolerance leash laws. Zero tolerance leash laws are nothing more than another "quality of life" weapon in the hands of aggressive humans!

If you follow verified reports, the truly aggressive or uncontrollable dogs, who have attacked people or dogs, are walked with leashes. If you see Sam or any other dog walking unleashed at the heel of a human, you know that everyone is 100% safe and no middle class anointed bully will physically attack anyone while we are present.

When the FOCP/UCD was calling for an end to "dogs killing and maiming children," I asked for the reports and it turns out that these were ALL lies and or severe hyperbole. Nationally, the vast majority of dog bites are in the family home. People who turn dogs into attack animals can and should be held accountable by appropriate laws and the people of the dog subculture do self police against any nuisance dogs. Once again, it is the well loved dogs who protect the community from leashed dogs who might attack someone.

(Unless a dog is deliberately mistreated, it won't be truly dangerous. The self policing that Linda described generally works with inexperienced dog owners who cannot properly train a dog or if the puppy was not properly socialized OFF leash around a wholesome dog culture like Clark Park.) We should be thanking the lovely dogs (Beau included) of this community rather than making their humans feel threatened!

Quality of life or gentrification laws are generally "crank laws" These are made for angry middle class bullies who wish cheap methods to use "enforcement" against those outside of their gangs! Drug laws and Stop and Frisk were similarly designed around massive bullshit, to terrorize poor and minority neighborhoods not make anyone safer.

Why has quality of life dropped so drastically during the era of quality of life laws?

Glenn