Rick,

Your request to Brian regarding the use of "Rick" or "Richard," rather than
"Rick" is quite reasonable.
I hope that, regardless of whatever other disagreements you might have, he'll
honor that request.
(And besides, it might have been an unintentional typo, not a deliberate
insult.)

After all, it's your name, and as a matter of courtesy, other folks should
certainly respect your decision as to
which forms of it are used.

Since you feel so strongly about the issue, though, I'm wondering why you
haven't spoken out before.

There have been many instances where posters on this list refer to other people
by nicknames -- especially
childlike diminutives (e.g., "Ricky"). In fact, this occurs several times in
the sequence of posts where your
request showed up, both before and after it appeared.

It's usually clear from the context that these are deliberate, not accidental,
actions. One might even consider them
ad hominem attacks -- "insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to
attack his claim or invalidate his argument,"
as Wikipedia describes it.

So, I'll ask: Is it only your own name that you'll defend, or will you take now
a stand for similar treatment of all list-users,
regardless of their positions on the larger issues?

Dave Axler