On 1/24/07, jeff_k <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Squeezebox v3, and wondered what hardware I'll
need with a headless linux server to have a no-hassle music playback
experience.

Details:

- New Squeezebox v3
- Wireless G home network
- 1 modern laptop 512Mb, Core Duo CPU, Windows XP
- Will run slimserver software and store music on laptop until Linux
server built and installed
- Laptop and Squeezebox use wireless
- Linux server to be ethernet-cabled to Wireless G router
- Linux server will be Gentoo Linux with no X windows
- Music collection is mix of 320Kbps OGG, 128-192Kbps MP3, some FLAC.

So, in light of all that:

1) Will running slimserver on modern XP laptop be fast enough?

Yes.

2) Will Squeezebox find the slimserver running on the laptop, even
though the laptop may turn on only minutes before playback, and have a
different IP. Is reconfig required? How much of a hassle is it to run
and find slimserver on a roving machine like a laptop?

You can do static IPs on both ends, but if they're both on the same
subnet they'll find each other. Keep in mind that if both machines are
on wireless, you'll tax your WAP more heavily than it might be able to
handle (streaming 320kpbs music twice is not the same as browsing the
web and downloading some files).

3) Can the Squeezebox get a static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.99) or look for
the slimserver by hostname?

yes, and no.

4) Please confirm: a 300Mhz Celeron II with 128Mb or 256Mb, running
Linux-2.6.19 with no X, is *not* going to work as a slimserver.

That should be fine, with 256 mb. There are those who'd run it with
128 mb or less, but RAM is cheaper than waiting :)

5) Would Athlon XP 1500, 512Mb DDR suffice? (I have a few of those
parts around)

That would do fine.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional