Michael,

Thanks for responding - I did an HD install. I don't understand the
difference between an HD install and a Frugal install. Does a Frugal
install include a different version of Samba?

I have 256 MBytes of RAM in this machine. I am not running with the
"toram" option, but straight from the IDE drive. With Slimserver,
Samba, and ssh running, I was typically sitting at around 100 to 120
MBytes in use according to the SlimCD consol display - it never seemed
to vary much.

I saw no output on SlimCDs screen, and if I recall correctly, SlimCD
was not locking up either. Windows XP File Explorer would lock up for
about 3 to 5 minutes however, and then sometimes die completely after
that.

I could copy a single file over to the SlimCD hard drive (actually an
IDE mounted flash drive.) But, if I tried to copy say ten files over,
the process would freeze up completely.

To SteveEast ... I had not tried the other way. I will try that. The
one thing that scares me with that however is corrupting a mounted file
system.

I have already had a scary experience with SlimCD on a hard drive. I
mounted a 750 GByte FAT32 file system (external USB HDD) and after
mounting it with the "-t vfat" option, DSL corrupted it within a few
seconds. It was completely unreadable after creating a "Music" folder
on it. Ouch. The one caveat in this experience was that I was logged
onto SlimCD via SSH from another machine when I issued the "sudo mount
-t vfat ..." command. Maybe that was not a good idea. I then issued a
"mkdir Music on the mounted file system" - and that was all she wrote -
the file system was slagged. I had to rebuild a new FAT32 file system on
the drive.

I was NOT using NTFS, which I know not to do with Linux.

Linux is interesting.

So, I am nervous now about mounting anything except a ext2 file system
under DSL or SlimCD. I am ok with that restriction, but I would like to
get Samba working under Windows!

This is a typical experience for me:) I seem to break everything -
maybe that is why people hire me to do QA related things.

-Ron

--
Ron F.