Steve,

Slagging a Windows file system on the drive was unpleasant, and it may
have been recoverable using some tools anyway, but it really should not
be a big issue. If I use SlimCD to create a music server, I will have a
dedicated hard drive as part of that setup, and that hard drive can be
formatted with an ext2 file system. SlimCD works great with a normal
Linux ext2 file system.

I would really like Samba to work however - that is the show stopper
for me: I need to move files onto the server as I purchase and rip more
CDs. If Samba would cooperate, SlimCD running on something like a
Nano-ITX board is a perfect combo for a very inexpensive music server.

I feel I am so close to this solution I can taste it - unfortunately -
it just does not work:)

I tried using ClarkConnect, but that requires more computer than I have
in my nano-ITX platform.

I have tried using FreeNAS, but I am having problems getting that
running on a nano-ITX board. I don't know why - I cannot get it to
boot.

SlimCD works beautifully - just need Samba to work!

-Ron

--
Ron F.