egd;264908 Wrote:
> Agreed, if the OP is intending to build a headless server then that
> would be the choice I'd make too.
As far as I'm aware, I don't have any desktop environment installed.
What I did was download the "netinst" Debian ISO image, which purports
to install a minimal system and then give you options to add extra
stuff by downloading only what you need.

So I installed the "standard system" plus "file server" option (to get
Samba), and switched off the "desktop" option. I've been using it in
command line mode, and as far as I'm aware there is no desktop
available.

Upon closer inspection of the output from "top", it looks to me as if
the system is in fact CPU bound. Whenever I fire up a web browser to
SqueezeCenter, CPU usage does spike up into the 90% range. (This exact
same machine ran SlimServer 6.1 under FreeBSD pretty damn fast. I guess
that both SC7.0 and Debian must have greater resource requirements than
SS6.1 and FreeBSD).

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A