Hello all.

I am interested in setting up a squeezecenter server on an Ubuntu
server instance and would like to "gather my thoughts" before I plunge
in.

My linux skills are decent but I'm no guru. I have previously set up a
development box with ftp, ssh, apache, and svn installed and working
and am familiar with working from the command line.

The setup:

Music will be ripped/uploaded to the server from Windows XP clients.
The server will also act as a general file-server/backup storage for
the windows network.

Here's my wish list for the server:

1) small footprint, low power requirements, inexpensive (500-700
range)
2) has multiple disks with redundancy

I've never used or set up RAID before but am thinking that's probably
the way to go. I'm looking for advice on this.

I'm also looking for input on the following:

- hardware suggestions
- what do i need to do / how hard is it to get raid setup (i really
know nothing about this other than some brief reading prior to this
posting)
- which raid? i understand there is software raid and hardware. what
should i be looking at?
- how to set up the file system for the environment. I will have to set
up a directory to share with the windows network. Is it best to set up a
separate partition for the shared folder and maybe symlink it to the
homes directory or something?

Anyway, just working up some mental capital prior to building this out.
Thanks in advance for your replies....

chinaski

--
chinaski