chinaski;323917 Wrote:
> - hardware suggestions

Any old box will do.  CPU should be 700 MHz or faster, RAM 512 MB
minimum, 1 GB+ preferred.

What's more important is special requirements - low noise, low power
may exclude a Pentium 4 monster you have lying around, VIA mini-ITX may
fit the low noise, low power bill but break the budget, Intel Atom may
not perform well enough.

IMHO a good compromise between power, performance and budget is an
Intel Celeron server - the new Celeron that is (a low-end Core 2
design).

> - what do i need to do / how hard is it to get raid setup (i really know
> nothing about this other than some brief reading prior to this posting)
> - which raid? i understand there is software raid and hardware. what
> should i be looking at?

Why RAID?  You should think about backup first.  If you wipe your
library, get file corruption or your computer gets stolen, RAID won't
help you one iota.

I suppose you're thinking of RAID 1 redundancy.  But again, spend the
money on backup solutions first - a backup drive in an external
enclosure.

True hardware RAID is expensive, a good chunk of your whole budget, and
it may not work with Linux.  Those "RAID on motherboard" solutions are
really software RAID, and most don't work with Linux.  Linux has
software RAID (mdadm), it's quite easy to set up.

> - how to set up the file system for the environment. I will have to set
> up a directory to share with the windows network. Is it best to set up
> a  separate partition for the shared folder and maybe symlink it to the
> homes directory or something?

I have my OS on one drive (actually, a set of drives in mdadm RAID 0)
and another separate drive just for music.

--
Mark Lanctot