I had exactly the same error messages as I tried to setup SC on a
DNS-323 (a NAS). For some reason there is a bug in the logger and you
get a "Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at..." instead of
seeing the real error message.
In the case of the DNS-323 I got stuck on this error for a while and
had to add some extra print statements in the Log4Perl module just to
find out that the problem was simply that the log files which had been
created had the wrong ownership and that SC couldn't write into them
with the user used to start the server.
Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52664
I have documented exactly the installation procedure on the DNS-323.
Some steps in the tutorial are specific to the DNS-323, but basically
it's nothing else than a linux. Look especially at the steps 5.1->5.4.
Maybe the problem is the same on your case.

Good luck...
Yannick

--
yannick