It's me who should be apologising - to both the forum regulars, and
SlimDevices too.

I'm up and running now, v7.3 nightly from a .deb package. In no
particular order, these tips (found on the forum in various places)
were very useful:

- the "_all" .deb file can be used on all architectures - download
  manually and install with "gdebi"
- when diagnosing startup problems, use "su - squeezecenter", then
  start squeezecenter manually - don't rely on the "/etc/init.d/..."
  thing just yet
- if squeezecenter complains about missing libraries, I used "sudo
  cpan {whatever}" to install them, one by one
- if squeezecenter *still* complains about libraries (such as
  XML::Parser or Template::Whatever), then rename the "XML" or
  "Template" directory inside the Squeezecenter/CPAN/ directory... and
  try again

(all these from memory, so may not be totally accurate)

So it's all rosy again. I think my two main problems were:

- expecting the moon-on-a-stick, when running on obscure hardware
- impatience! Whenever I get problems like this, I usually stick some
  tunes on and patiently work through them. But without Squeezecenter,
  there were no tunes... :(

Anyways... when do we get a "Commodore 64" forum here? I'm struggling
to get SqueezeOS to build... ;-)

Matthew

--
mflint