Neat, I've never heard of Ubuntulite/U-lite.

I also noticed:

http://u-lite.org/?q=node/5

> Who's new
>
> * rov

;-)

I only have one response to your questions:

rov Wrote:
> 2. i'd like to put the server in a closet and maintain it with an
> x-server or telnet from a pc elsewhere in the house. my linux distro is
> not a server distro, so i'm guessing i need to install more packages??
> what else do i need to do on the server? i'll install cygwin on the
> other pc for x-windows.

SSH is installed by default on all Ubuntu releases, not sure about
U-lite but sudo apt-get install ssh should do that for you, or check
that SSH is listening using PuTTY on your other PC.

As for installing cygwin and the like, don't bother - TightVNC is all
you need.  All the Ubuntu releases I've played with run an Xvnc server
that you have to enable.  Once enabled, TightVNC Viewer works with it
perfectly.  On a Windows PC, TightVNC is lightweight and -very fast-.

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta), SBC (beta - no battery)
Sold: SB3, Duet