I'd greatly recommend goping to the Ubuntu forums.

Everything (except for listening to m4a's) can be set up without going
to the command line interface (with its potential risks to Linux
newbies, don't ask me how I know).

There are programs in open universe to set up volume management, and
about the first thing you should do after installing Ubuntu is to go to
software updates and look for "restricted" Ubuntu packages, which will
give you everything SC needs to run smoothly.

I did a clean install of SC 7.3 on a Ubuntu 8.10 system, and the only
time I used the command line was for the custom-convert file.

I am pablolie in the Ubuntu forums as well, and I think first time
vanilla Ubuntu installers can probably learn quite a bot of the stuff
needed to get SC and some other software to run by checking my
questions there.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo (8GB) - Vista Ultimate 64 &
Ubuntu 8.10 64
Sources: SB3 (4), SB Boom (2), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tuned by Darmstadt Psychoacoustics Lab
Headphones: Grado SR-1