First of all, thank you to both of you for helping me out.

I've tried to do some follow up on your replies.

mherger;379383 Wrote:

> Would they work if you transcoded them to flac?
> Michael

I've never really used flac and don't how to transcode them. Long time
ago when I started ripping my CD's I decided on the wav/cue
combination. I prefer not to change this setup.

mherger;379383 Wrote:

> > -In my smb.conf I have added these lines under [GLOBAL]:
> > dos charset = 850
> > unix charset = ISO-8859-1
>
> Doesn't this break the encoding for those filenames? Are they shown
> correctly in a shell window or in your system's file manager?

What settings do you recommend?

This SAMBA setup seems to be the setup commonly recommended by other
danes. I'm a Linux novice so I tend to copy what others have done.
Some time ago I made a similiar server based on ClarkConnect,
Slimserver 6.x, Samba 2.x (as far as I recall). Here I used these
settings without any troubles. However I suspect there has been a
change in Samba 3.x concerning how it handles 'char sets' Back then I
also included the line: valid chars = æ:Æ ø:Ø å:Å, but this seems to be
invalid now. Please see the tests that I did on Fedders request below.

Fedder;379468 Wrote:
> Hi,
> I.e. can you:
> Create a file named: "æøå.txt" from Windows, and find it on your Linux
> system (i.e. using putty) using the command:
> $ find / -name æøå.txt
>
> Can you do the reverse:
>
> $echo "Hello world!" > æøå.txt
> -And find it from Windows?
> /Fedder

I did the following to test:

I created 'æÆøØåÅ.test1' in windows and moved it to the network drive
I created 'æÆøØåÅ.test2' logged on locally to the server
I created 'æÆøØåÅ.test3' through Putty, 'Translation' set to UTF-8 ,
I created 'æÆøØåÅ.test4' through Putty, 'Translation' set to
ISO-8859-1,

Files 2-4 were created using the echo command.

-Using Putty, 'Translation' set to UTF-8:
Files no. 2 and 3 are found using $ find.
Files no. 1 and 4 are not found using $ find.
Files no. 2 and 3 are displayed correct.
Files no. 1 and 4 are displayed with question marks instead of æÆøØåÅ.

-Using Putty, 'Translation' set to ISO-8859-1:
No files are found using $ find.
Files no. 2 and 3 are displayed with æÃøÃåà instead of æÆøØåÅ.
Files no. 1 and 4 are displayed with question marks instead of æÆøØåÅ.

-From Windows:
Files no. 1 and 4 are displayed correctly. File no. 4 is displayed with
æÆøØåÃ" instead of æÆøØåÅ.

-Using WinSCP: Same as from Windows.

Does these tests reveal anything?

Fedder;379468 Wrote:

> I've got the following settings in my smb.conf on my openSUSE box:
> dos charset = 865
> unix charset = UTF8
> /Fedder

I'll try these settings and post my results later.

Fedder;379468 Wrote:

> Remember to run SqueezeCenter in UTF-8 mode.
> /Fedder
I suppose I do that by:

>- In /etc/default/squeezecenter I have added this line:
>SLIMOPTIONS="--charset=utf8"

Best regards
Christian Meyer

--