cpm wrote:
> cdmackay;405379 Wrote:
>> you may even find a few utils out there for Linux that do the
>> conversion
>> (for one file) and then it's a trivial matter to extend that to a large
>>
>> collection of files.
>> calum.
>
> Well I must admit that I don't see it as a trivial matter. I've got no
> experience with scripting in Linux.

well, that's an issue, of course :)

the point I was trying to make about a unix system making it easy, was:
if you have a script/utility that does something to *one* file, it is
trivial to extend that to many files, without even requiring any further
scripting.

e.g.

# run myscript on all regular files under /home/me/audio,
# recursively descending into sub-dirs
find /home/me/audio -type f -exec /home/me/bin/myscript {} \;

# as above, but only on mp3 files
find /home/me/audio -type f -name \*.mp3 -exec /home/me/bin/myscript {} \;

etc, etc. the possibilities are almost endless.

cheers,
calum.