agillis;405545 Wrote:
> Yes, I looked up the specs of your VIA chip and VortexBox does not
> support it. Most modern versions of Linux will not support it. Why
> don't you just keep using Ubuntu 6.10? That was working.

That's one option but I am actually planning to replace my hard drive
with a bigger one. I know I could copy my installation over but it
seems like a good opportunity to get up to date with SqueezeCentre in
particular. I don't know how well it will run on 6.10 and if I have
problems, it's likely not many other people will have the same
combination of OS and server software.  As I understand it, 8.04 will
run on my system and is a long term support release so if I'm lucky I
might get another 3 years or so out of my hardware.

> Your other option is to upgrade your hardware. You could get a bigger
> drive at the same time. :)
As I say, I'm planning to replace the drive anyway, but I'm happy with
the hardware for what it needs to do.  It's small, low power, has a
fanless CPU so it's quiet. The case fan is a bit noisy now and I've got
a new, supposedly very quiet one, to replace it with at the same time as
I do the hard drive replacement.

Maybe in two or three years I'll look around to see what's available.
There seems to be a trend towards small form factor, low power
hardware, so it will be interesting to see what has developed by then.

~~
Zoltan

--
Zoltan