egd;440549 Wrote:
> if you do a little searching you'll find that it has indeed been
> benchmarked and linux significantly outperforms xp when doing things
> such as scanning one's library.

Maggior has a point but overstates the case a bit. I think most "quasi
capable" windows users disable automatic updates, because it can be
annoying and sometimes disruptive. It's not a lot of work, maybe 3 mouse
clicks does it. AV scanning can be scheduled for off times. I've never
found mine disrupts SC running in any way.

As for scanning, I don't remember seeing any benchmarking. But even if
it's true, I'd say "who cares", scanning can be done overnight or when
one is away. And for many, performing a full scan is a once in a
lifetime activity.

For the original poster, I think some actions require a bit more time
on any machine. Your hardware is more than up to the task; in fact, you
could probably make do with a much less capable machine and find little
performance difference. With any operating system.

I'd venture to speculate two truths -

1. The VAST majority of SB owners run SC on windows machines without
ever having a performance or reliability issue or penalty for doing so

2. Linux users are very overrepresented in these forums, and their
voices could lead one to think that linux has other than a marginal and
numerically irrelevant home PC presence. But all the stats I've seen
indicate that linux use is not growing outside of server rooms, and that
trend has been constant over the years.

--
Goodsounds