Goodsounds;440566 Wrote:

> I'd venture to speculate two truths -
>
> 1. The VAST majority of SB owners run SC on windows machines without
> ever having a performance or reliability issue or penalty for doing so
>
> 2. Linux users are very overrepresented in these forums, and their
> voices could lead one to think that linux has other than a marginal and
> numerically irrelevant home PC presence. But all the stats I've seen
> indicate that linux use is not growing outside of server rooms, and that
> trend has been constant over the years.

In many internet forums a comment like this would start a flame war
between linux and windows zelots. But most users in this forum are not
into flame wars so I don't think that will happen here.

I have been in technology for years and have found that every operating
system has advantages and disadvantages. There is no one perfect OS. I
use many different OSes. Most of the Windows users you are taking about
are probably running Linux on their router and they don't even know it!

For a high powered quad core machine like the original poster has I
don't think the OS makes much of a difference. Linux is really useful on
a lower power system like an embedded Atom box with only 1GB of RAM. In
this case you can run Linux without a GUI giving it a distinct advantage
over Windows.

Of cource Windows has the advantage of an easy to use GUI that many
people are familiar with. This is useful when resolving problems.

--
agillis

rip, tag, get cover artÂ… All you do is insert the CD!
http://vortexbox.org

agillis
Lead Developer VortexBox