0xdeadbeef wrote:
> Guess this will be the last time that I install Linux though. It's cool
> that it's free and all, but it completely sucks that you can't simply
> update an application without risking to destroy or being forced to
> update the whole system just for one application. It's also unbelievable
> that the repositories are deleted so soon.

Which repositories do you mean, the Ubuntu ones? or the Logitech ones
for your ancient Ubuntu 5.10?

In either case, I'm not sure I agree with your complaint. If you want
long term support, you should be running Debian, not Ubuntu. For 99% of
the time, they are the same, but Debian is all about stability and long
term support, whereas Ubuntu is about a new version every six months and
supporting the latest and greatest stuff.

Your 5.10 is ancient, specifically four and a half years old.

When I was doing serious Windows development, I would schedule time to
do a format c: and reinstall from the CD every six months or so.

The SqueezeBoxServer 7.4 was one of the more difficult ones, I've been
running it (under various names) for five or so years. Usually only the
integer number changes are this painful.

wasn't there a bad PGP key with the values 0xdeadbeef a decade or so ago?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/