aubuti;463003 Wrote:
> I'm not from Logitech, but I've been running 7.4 on Ubuntu for several
> months now. In Ubuntu (and probably other *nix OSs) the change in the
> program name from squeezecenter to squeezeboxserver affects the location
> of files and the username under which SbS runs. I have no insider info,
> but I would guess that if transfer of prefs and plugins wasn't included
> in the 7.4 upgrade (and it wasn't), you're very unlikely to see it in a
> subsequent upgrade that will probably assume you're on the same
> squeezeboxserver page as everyone else.
>
> So I'd go ahead and update now. To try to avoid some hassles I'd
> recommend the following:
>
> 1. back up your prefs folder (/var/lib/squeezecenter/prefs). You could
> also backup you plugins folder (/var/lib/squeezecenter/Plugins/) but I
> wouldn't bother because of the changes in the Extension Downloader (a
> very nice improvement that many of those whingeing about the upgrade
> don't seem to have noticed...). Remember to stop SC before making the
> backup.
>
> 2. purge squeezecenter and install squeezeboxserver, as per the Debian
> install instructions on the wiki page
> (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package)
>
> 3. use the new plugins interface to install all your old plugins
>
> 4. stop squeezeboxserver, and copy your backed up prefs folder from
> 7.3.3 (including plugin prefs) over top of the default for 7.4
>
> 5. restart SbS.
>
> If that doesn't work, then you'll be stuck with re-entering your
> settings manually. It's a drag, especially if you have a lot of SBs, but
> you don't have to do it that often.
>
> Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggested steps. This worked quite well with one minor
adjustment.  On step 4 be careful to not copy over your Extension
Downloader Prefs as that caused some problems for me. Luckily I made a
backup of the 7.4 new prefs before replacing them with my 7.3.4 backup
so it was easy to correct once I figured out what was happening.

It seem like almost all my settings stuck. I lost the Presets on my
Boom, but I think that is a different issue.

Thanks again.

--
mikes