I played a few albums, and it seems the problem has gone away with alsa
and pa_snapshot-20090419.

I noticed that at the same time squeezeslave used to stop (around -20s
before the end of the track, when the next song begins to be buffered)
there's a very small cut - maybe 1/4 second silence.
Unfortunately it happens rarely, so it'll be difficult to debug. It
might be because of the not-so-powerful itx machine I'm using. BTW maybe
it also happened with the other versions and I didn't pay attention
then.

I'm at your disposal if you want to debug the problem with the newer pa
version...

--
boris