audiomuze;504479 Wrote:
> I'd tried what you and Erland described above yesterday and the NAS
> consistently couldn't see the Internet.  I'll specifically disable eth1
> on both machines and double check that the PCs are cabled to the switch
> only.

Make sure the default gateway is set correctly on the NAS, if it isn't
it will only find machines on the local network. I'm guessing it's
something like 192.168.0.1, it should be the internal IP of the ADSL
router.
Also make sure the NAS is configured with the correct DNS servers.

If you have DHCP enabled on the router and the NAS, all this should
happen automatically, if you don't you will need to configure them
manually.

audiomuze;504479 Wrote:

> Agreed, there's nothing in it in performance terms, but it was a simple
> way of keeping my music network from being Internet facing.

I assume there is some kind of firewall in the ADSL router that will
handle this protection. The router will make sure no one can access your
music server unless you have explicitly configured the router to open
ports towards the music server.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))