Having found this
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=91834&page=6)  Lauret's
method worked for me and I can now get output.  It was more by trial &
error (mainly the latter).

What the quality is like remains to be seen, but I at least I have some
sound that I can sync with my Touch in another room.  My settings now
are:

settings =
{mac="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",uuid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",alsaSampleSize=24,alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:2,0",alsaEffectsDevice="plughw:0,0",alsaPlaybackBufferTime=50000,alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=3}

I tried streaming PCM to my Touch, but it seems that it overloads the
Touch (CPU at more than 50% just reading the input), so I'm back to
Native for FLAC.

And I think I now understand why a MAC is needed (so as to identify
Squeezeplay to LMS).

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.