giulio;689367 Wrote:
>  You can download my tarball from
> http://webspace.qmul.ac.uk/gfella/squeezeplay/squeezeplay.html and
> untar into a directory /opt/squeezeplay
>
> It works on ubuntu and voyage, so I expect it to work on most flavours
> of Debian.

I wanted to run Squeezeplay on my ancient Sony laptop (running Debian
Wheezy) on occasions.  I wasn't particularly concerned to be able to
run at best quality, but just have it run at all!  I had got guilio's
tarball working on my dual-boot desktop with ubuntu, but thought I'd
try a new version of Squeezeplay on Debian.  This turned out to be a
waste of time, as follows.

I tried the Windows version on Wine, but couldn't get any sound, and
had crashes.

I then tried the latest build tarball from Logitech.  That had display
corruption problems which made it unusable.

I tried to compile the latest source from Logitech.  I could not get
beyond the FLAC__ENCODE.... problems lauret mentioned in
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=91834&highlight=compile+squeezeplay&page=2.
The suggested fix there (compiling the flac encoder) didn't work for me
and I had to give up.

So I thought I give this tarball a try again, this time on my Debian
laptop.  It works a treat.  No display problems.  The sound took a bit
longer to fix (due mainly to my inability to read what I have done
properly).  As referred to elsewhere one has to avoid pulseaudio by
modifiying /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh.  Comment out the ./jive
at the end and add the ALSA_CONFIG.. line as shown:

  ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/share/alsa/alsa-nopulse.conf ./jive
  #./jive

--------------------

Create /usr/share/alsa/alsa-nopulse.conf from /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
with one change.

My Debian system has a slightly different alsa.conf to the Ubuntu
systems referred to elsewhere.  I ended up changing this to refer to a
new, empty, directory called "/alsa-nopulse.conf.d/", since I'm not
really sure what the code here is doing.  The original alsa.conf.d
directory on my system contains pulse configuration files.

My new alsa-nopulse.conf contains, at the start:

  #
  #  ALSA library configuration file
  #

  # pre-load the configuration files

  @hooks [
        {
                func load
                files [
                        {
                                @func concat
                                strings [
                                        { @func datadir }
                                        "/alsa-nopulse.conf.d/"
                                        #"/alsa.conf.d/"
                                ]
                        }
                        "/etc/asound.conf"
                        "~/.asoundrc"
                ]
                errors false
        }
  ]

--------------------

where /usr/share/alsa/alsa-nopulse.conf.d is an empty directory.  This
is probably unnecessary, but it works.

So thanks very much to giulio for efforts in creating a tarball that
works on multiple linux systems.

--
PasTim

VortexBox Midi, FLACs 16 or 24 bit. Touch on Ethernet (in another room).
Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to ageing Quad Hi-Fi. Old wireless
laptop controls the server using Chrome.  Squeezeplay on PCs in other
rooms.