> You might try modifying your watchdog script so that it just kills the
> perl instance.

OK, thanks for the suggestion, Ill give that a try.

> Also, in terms of the services you've got configured to always run, you
> might have a look at this:

and I'll take a look at that while Im at it, although the box runs with
heaps of spare CPU and memory, until that is SB takes all the CPU when
it has a fit! - although I would assume, with it being a pretty standard
Ubuntu setup, others would have complained but still worth a try.

> Finally, do you have a spare hard disk kicking around? Could you
> configure this box with a new OS drive with a fresh, clean install of
> Ubuntu 12.04 server?

I dont, however I could create a new VM and do it that way. I dont mind
the time, but Im not sure what Ill achieve though which is making me
hesitant. I have had this issue on Ubuntu 10.4 and 12 and recently my
hard disk failed (so yes I have SMART and fsk checked the new disk
(100%OK)) , so I ended up doing another fresh install of Ubuntu and SB
on the new disk. You know, thinking about it, I wonder if there's
something about the hardware SB doesnt like - but surely dual core and
4GB memory wouldnt worry it? Hmmmm.