Hi Triode,
I think I've resolved most of the issues on my Alix PC Engines, and have
transcoding+server+squeezelite running ok. I'm now testing the player
long-term, everything's looking fine after 24hrs. A great many thanks
for Squeezelite.

FYI I am pretty sure I want to add vocal feedback to the machine -boot
process,…- and I thought it would be useful too for player status, and
even menus. I looked at squeezeslave to see if I could get the machine
to speak aloud its curses UI. It's not going to happen exactly like
that, but I came across 'this post'
(http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-October/341221.html)
on the mythtv list, where someone diverted mythtv's LCD UI to speechd,
with success it seems. Or perhaps "onebrowser" is a better starting
place ? (no idea what this is really)