I've tested squeezelite on a couple of laptops booting the latest
live-cd from voyage-mpd. Works perfectly. Sound card is a Stello U3
USB-S/PDIF concerter (XMOS). I started to wonder which Linux distro and
hardware I should get to set up a permanent solution. An alix board with
the Voyage distro seemed to be a good candidate. Then I remebered that
the Touch is a Linux box and at the same time I noticed posts from
Triode and soundcheck talking about running squeezelite  on the Touch. I
tested this successfully with the Stello last night (Touch with v7.8 and
EDO). I had to set buffer time high to avoid clicks and skips (-a
50000:4::0). 50000:4 is probably more than needed but I could play
24/192 material with no problem and did not test further. I did set the
mmap off, but I am not sure this is the right setting. Also squeezelite
-l does not print the list of devices on the Touch. aplay -l does so I
used that info.
Triode: would you mind posting parameters that you believe should work
for Touch and current version of squeezelite?