Pascal Hibon wrote:
> Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what would be the reason(s)
> and / or benefit(s) to create a kernel?

Well, none if you are happy with the "Community" kernel. If you wanted
to apply your own patches or enable options that are not enabled by
default in the "Community" kernel, the src rpm package provides a
convenient start point, without having to pull the git kernel source
yourself, get the patch set we are currently using from another
location, and put it all together.

>From my own personal "open source" point of view, I don't like the
concept of distributing open source binary software without the
corresponding src package, (including build scripts, which in this case
is the spec file contained in the src rpm), that allows a user to build
the package themselves and end up with exactly the same binary, built
with the same options and features as the "Community" provided binary
package.