ashleyw wrote:
> I was also thinking along the same lines as I had similar sync issues
> until today.
> Today I ran up Vmware workstation on a win7 pc and spun up a 1gb ram
> Centos 6.4 vm and ran squeezelite under linux. I was staggered when 2
> seperate linux vms on separate win7 pcs synced perfectly and kept in
> sync. I had to start each virtualised squeezelite client up with a "-a
> 1000:8" parameter to prevent audio break up, but after that it was
> great. I'll run some more tests but it looks like virtualised linux is a
> go as a squeezeclient. It did make me wonder if it was technically
> possible to compile squeezelite under cygwin for an easier and more
> reliable experience under windows.

I had a couple of issues starting squeezelite under CentOS without
logging onto the Gnome desktop, so I ditched CentOS and spun up a 32bit
Debian VM with 512MB ram. The only thing I needed to do was a "apt-get
install libasound2 alsa-utils alsa-oss", and then run up "alsamxer" and
press m (to unmute) on the Master and PCM and push the volume of both
Master and PCM up to 100. Then "alsactl store" to save the settings
across reboots. I created a squeezelite start up based on this;
http://linux.freethenoise.com/logitechmediaserver/

and now everything is working as expected. I copied the VM to another 2
machines and adjusted the sound cards on each one and now they appear to
all be workingh fine! thanks for a great thread!