Thanks for the replies!

RetroBrowser looks really interesting and I'd like to play with it.  But
it doesn't work with Jivelite as it uses deprecated functions
"addCategory" along with other problems I imagine.  Has anyone got it
working with more modern Squeezeplay/Jivelite?

It seems the fundamental difference is that Jivelite is designed for
close interaction, whereas the Boom works great as a 10-ft interface.  I
know the Touch has a 10-ft "zoomed" interface as well, but I still think
the Boom is better with it's large aspect ratio display.

Yes, I agree that doing the bulk of the UI processing on the Wandboard
makes the most sense.  Also writing it for Jivelite would allow use of
all the latest plugins.  The problem (?) is that there is so much great
code for the Boom that can't be ported to Jivelite, requiring rewriting
this interface code.

But this seems like the best decision moving forward.  The Jivelite
menus could be made Boom-like, and a new Now Playing screen is needed of
course.  Most plugins use the menu system, but are there any that would
break with a substantially changed menu and a display with a different
aspect ratio?