JJZolx wrote:
> That's good to know. I don't recall seeing it mentioned before.

Well, as John has already answered it is a recent addition.

JJZolx wrote:

> I may be wrong, but I expect most people who intend to attach a SATA
> drive will be using an HDD, not an SSD, as its main use would be music
> storage, and SSD just isn't very cheap for the kind of storage that many
> people need.

Most people can do, and use whatever they want to. People will need to
have done their own homework on power requirements. I want to run the
board and the drive from a single 5V power supply and have it in a
single enclosure, without having to be concerned about ventilation. Use
a HDD and even assuming it uses 5V for the spindle motor, you need to
make sure that you have the power requirements covered. SSD == low
power. SSD == zero noise. SSD == low heat. I doubt I come into the "most
people" category. Not too many people have a rack full of servers under
the stairs at home. ;) In any event, I have no intention of having
storage on the device for media. Always has been and remains my
intention that the music library is network attached.

JJZolx wrote:

> I've seen it mentioned several times on the Wandboard mailing list that
> using a class 10 card makes a world of difference.

Yes, compared to a Class 4 card. But another world of difference using a
HDD/SSD. No-one needs to use a HDD for a Player. For a server as well,
my recommendation was already that you put /var onto a HDD rather than
sdcard.

JJZolx wrote:

> When a SATA drive is present, will the system have to boot from the
> drive instead of the microSD card, or how will that work?

The board will always boot from the sdcard. The uboot and the /boot
partition remains on the sdcard.