Greg,

That looks like what I want.  Thank you.  It will take me a couple of
days to get to it as I am working on other stuff right now --
Christmas...

It is amazing how similar problems breed similar solutions.  I was
actually hoping that Steen would pop up and say "Yah, we can do this in
the next release." Your solution will work just fine.  All the Pi needs
is a 1K resistor off a GPIO pin, run that through a 2N2222 (or similar)
and make that drive a mains rated relay.  Works fine.

Thanks again although I will probably get stuck in TinyLinux and will
need more help.