Squeezed_Rotel wrote:
> Thanks again Steen.
> Well, still no change in behavior. I used the script above _and_ used
> "tweak" to set "custom output", as you had indicated. Then, when I
> opened alsamixer, the default pcm page still came up, then I used f6 to
> select the sound card drop down menu and I then selected -iqaudio+dac-.
> I can adjust the volume, there is _no_ problem here.

Hi, I think we are discussing two different approaches here.
The method I was describing was added as a few users had problems with
too loud output that would cause clipping in their external amplifier.
Therefore, they wanted a way to fix the max output at a specified level.
The method for achieving that is what I have been described for you:
1. First you will need to change the output with the alsamixer command
via putty.
2. Then you save this settings with the "sudo alsactl store" command and
possibly a sudo filetool.sh -b in order to be sure that piCorePlayer
remember the settings after a reboot.
3. Finally, you use the "tweaks page" and select Custom Alsa ets.
By doing so you now have set a max ALSA output that will be used even
after a reboot. You can still adjust the sound level using LMS within
this defined area.

However, I now understand that you want to control the sound directly
via ALSA. I think it should be possible as Triode recently added an
option for that. You know that you don't have to do that even with your
IQAMP, I think the volume still can be controlled via LMS controlling
the IQaudIODAC. However, if you want to try the ALSA route, I think you
use the Various inputs on the Squeezelite page. The new -V switch allows
LMS to control the player volumen via ALSA.
So first you will need to figure out the name of your volume control for
your audio card.
Something like sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -o hw:<INSERT
THE NAME OF YOUR CARD> -L
Then see what volume controls are available and choose one (Like shown
here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-(alsa-only)&p=803538&viewfull=1#post803538
)

Then in the Various input field add something like: -V PCM   or -V
master  dependent upon what you have discovered as described above.

Regards
Steen

Squeezed_Rotel wrote:
> Please note that the main reason I hope to access this "page" within
> alsamixer, is because I am using the IQAMP card. So if I understand
> correctly, one must adjust the output volume of this amp using
> alsamixer, and I expect that I will be making all my volume changes
> here. It just seems cumbersome that I will have to open putty/alsamixer
> for volume changes. Perhaps I should simply use iPeng for this, i.e. set
> the alsamixer to some value ,xx% (set and forget). I initially wanted to
> set LMS/iPeng player output to 100% and then alsamixer to do hardware
> volume changes.
>
> It's clear to me that I don't understand the uses of alsamixer, e.g.
> what are the other adjustable columns that I see when using putty? Is
> there a good info source on the basic alsamixer functions?
>
> Great player btw, good work. I hope that pico adopts Gordon's "rotary
> encoder" feature for the IQaudIO AMP+ soon, thus eliminating the need
> for frequent alsamixer changes.

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

*Please 'donate'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=U7JHY5WYHCNRU&lc=GB&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted)
if you like the piCorePlayer*