Greg Erskine wrote:
> In our case we are using http. If we change to https, it works!

I think the web sites in general are going to use https by default for
security - even the open ones !.

> I have been trying to find "official" information as to what changed,
> have you seen any? There was a brief mention of implementing https
> "properly" but very little actual detail.

The problem a number of plugin developers noticed is that the repository
URL which point to a single XML file - have suddenly got a lot of HTTP
redirections which can be break the requesting code (redirectionlimit
exceeded) and is reported as a failure.

I suggest just for info try a "wget" on your URL and see if it is
redirected.  The last URL may only require http.