JackOfAll wrote:
> Yes, it's not clear to me either..... LOL. It would be a bit of a cheek
> to call what I have now squeezelite. It started out from squeezelite,
> but it is so heavily modified now.... I already implemented PCM->DSD
> conversion in the front-end (what you would still call squeezelite and
> also native DSD output, for the linux USB DAC's that support it, XMOS,
> JLSounds... instead of DoP) but one part of it cannot be released as
> open source. Which is why it has not been released. I wanted to
> introduce a LGPL'd plugin interface to squeezelite to allow my non-open
> source part to be distributed as a binary, but still free to use, but it
> was going to cause more problems than it solved, and was felt, went
> against the "spirit" of what Triode intended by licensing under the
> GPL......
>
> So bottom line, I'm not actually working on anything. I finished my
> PCM->DSD transcode a long time ago, before the mansr sox patches and
> Kimmo adding that to his Daphile LMS, but it is for my own personal use.

The part  that is not GPL is for PCM to DSD conversion or Linux native
DSD support?

My personal opinion is that the spirit is more important than the form.
Many distributions includes squeezelite, for some of them you have to
pay, in a form or the other. I don't think this was the original spirit,
but until the copyleft is valid, I consider this like 'unfair play',
nothing more. I dislike more when the distribution is free, but copyleft
is not granted.

More, I don't think we should retain to produce some derivated work form
this great piece of software if done in respect of the original, for two
reasons:

a. What is not evolving is going to die.
b. Better reuse something that we all know is working well and add
funcionalities for specific duties.

Sure I miss something and sure I'm not in the postion to give you
suggestions, but please consider the following  just like 'first
impressions', something stupid said just to start a conversation, if you
like to.

If your PCM /DSD converter is a library with LGPL licence, I could not
see any problem and even any 'unfair play' by you.

I undersatand Linux native dsd support could imply a more 'invasive'
change in squeezelite. Have you tougth about the opportunity to just
make it as a separate 'post processor' to squeezelite or any other
player?