I've been using piCorePlayer since V1.0 for feeding digital audio via
HDMI to my surround receiver.
There were always some distortions or clicks, but I always though that
either the sources (network radio streaming) were unreliable or the
local LMS that handled the synchronization between the piCore and a
Transporter caused the trouble.
A switch to a Raspi 3 improved the situation a bit. Finally, I decided
to try out another option. I got a HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, and the matching
metal case. Connection is now through the cinch output, HDMI is off.

What can I say? Perfect sound (except when there -are- network
problems), up to 192kHz. Configuration was easy, thanks to the by now
very nice web interface; it just works.

Well done!

Roman