> I'm considering a RPi 3, which would be connected to my router with
> wired ethernet. As for music storage I was thinking of simply connecting
> a USB hard drive of appropriate size to one of the USB ports on the RPi.
> I'm assuming that the USB hard drive should be re-formatted to Ext4 (or
> something else?) before use.
Can't remember how I formatted it. but I did just what you are planning.
Beginning 2016 I could not get it working on the RPI3 with WIFI for some
reason. So I did it on a RPI2. This was a present for a mate of mine.
And I used a 2,5" harddisk with zero problems....and it is used as a
player.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a
while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller