ian_heys wrote:
> 1. Do all the players have to be the same Pi Version and all be
> players?
> 2. Is the operating system/squeezelite/LMS upradeable once the OS has
> loaded and does the player have to go back to base OS if one of the
> players stops?
> 3. I suppose if all the players had identical hardware and DAC's etc
> then the updated image could be kept on the central server?
1. Yes, netbooting is a Pi 3 specific feature, AFAIK. Something to do
with the chipset model used.
2. According to my tests, you can boot, configure pCP and reboot into
the new config like if the OS was installed on the SD.
3. The OSes don't need to be the same, they are stored in the server.
The Pi 3 client boots the OS it fetches via TFTP under a path that
includes its serial number, e.g. "/tftp/123456/". Then in the OS config
you specify an NFS export to serve as root directory, e.g.
"/export/123456/pCP".
So you need a bit of room on the server (but in the case of pCP the OS
is so small it just doesn't matter). And you can access a machine's
system right away under /tftp or /export. Very easy compared to using an
SD.

As I mentioned, boot reliability is not good enough in my case. If there
is no solution to this, then I don't think the setup is viable.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.