Yeah I'm pretty miffed by the situation.

For those who'd like to get rid of the SD and do not mind attending
reboot and power cycle the machine if it doesn't come alive, here is the
last configuration I was running on the Raspbian server.
It runs good, but not reliably enough for me. I was targeting unattended
reboot after general power failure (the Pi 3 server being protected by
an UPS)

This setup was running on "Linux srv 4.9.24-v7+ #993 SMP Wed Apr 26
18:01:23 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux" (Raspbian lite) on Pi 3. All wired
network, DHCP server on an ISP router box, 2 switches: one close to the
players, one in the router box (Pi 3 server connected to it).

1. Install atftpd in addition to dnsmasq. For me dnsmasq has a bug in
its tftp server and often sends files that belong to the wrong player.
The symptom is the player doesn't boot and blinks its green led 3 times
repeatedly. This is solved by using atftpd.

2. Configure both to work together. For atftpd I have boosted the number
of threads to improve processing of parallel booting of multiple
players. The timeout option computed by the client is disregarded as I
read there was a bug there in the Pi 3 firmware, but these tweaks might
be useless. This is /etc/default/atftpd:
    USE_INETD=false
  OPTIONS="--user=root.root --retry-timeout=30 --maxthread=200 --no-timeout
--verbose=3 --listen-local /tftp"
--------------------

3. As clients would still randomly decide to sit on their butt doing
nothing, I decided in a last-ditch effort to supersede the router's
built-in DHCP server with dnsmasq in the Pi 3 server. So dnsmasq no
longer works in proxy mode, but as an authoritative DHCP server. Having
2 active DHCP servers would disrupt networking, so dnsmasq is configured
to respond only to a specific set of Pi clients. This is
/etc/dnsmasq.conf:
    log-dhcp                      # Debug mode
  log-async=50                    # Weak IO/s on Pi
  dhcp-no-override                # Safe behaviour
  dhcp-ignore=tag:!known                  # Only known Pis (below)
  pxe-service=0,"Raspberry Pi Boot" # Boot service for Pi 3
  dhcp-option=66,"192.168.1.161"
                                  # Inform clients of the TFTP server name,
ourselves
                                  # Needed for atftpd
  dhcp-authoritative              # Try to help Pi3s get an address to boot...
  dhcp-range=192.168.1.100,192.168.1.175
                                  # ... and its still not enough. It's broken.

  # Known hosts
  dhcp-host=b8:27:eb:01:02:03:04,player1

Once booted, I had excellent sync over my 5 test players (pcp3.20beta5).
Reboot usually works, as it is easier to get a single Pi to boot
compared to 5 at the same time. Rebooting the server puts players in
stasis while they try to regain their root filesystem over NFS. After a
few minutes, the players are operational again and sync fine.

Finally be aware that switches on the path may affect the players boot
behaviour, especially if they are power cycled as well. "Smart" switches
that take their time to boot and activate their ports have an adverse
effect, possibly also switches with "green" features that activate ports
on demand. YMMV, and good luck.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.