I downloaded the latest version of picoreplayer for my Raspberry Pi 3,
initially choosing the Audio Optimized version. Connected via ethernet
and basic functions worked. But, built-in wifi refused to work - getting
the no wifi device message - so I started checking this thread and
discovered that it will not work by design.

Can I suggest that it would be helpful to put an NB next to the download
link so that others do not get frustrated by this?

So then I reflashed the sd card with the "normal" version. Now the wifi
device is recognized but it can't obtain an IP lease. My router is on
channel 4. Not sure if this is related, but the time zone field is not
getting populated (blank).

NB - I have lots of other wifi devices active and no issues.

Other than that, the player works over ethernet with built-in audio and
connects to my LMS (this is good!) I am awaiting the arrival an Allo
Boss DAC and will check it out soon, but I would really like to get wifi
working (pretty much why I wanted the Pi 3).

Will I have better luck with a wifi dongle - like one in the supported
list?

Thanks