drmatt wrote:
> .. and all of a Pi's I/O hangs off that USB bus .. and even plugging in
> a gigabit USB port on a USB 2 seems somewhat pointless.
> A Pi is not a good server. Convenient, very, but it's no file server.
> Banana Pi is much better (PCI linked gig-e and SATA, but even that still
> has no USB 3).

Agreed, but the throughput is much better than onboard ethernet, if
throughput is important to you.

There are so many arm platforms better suited for a low cost/power
server,  if only they had reasonable software/kernel support.  I had
ported piCore to oDroidC1, but stuck at 3.10 kernels and backported wifi
drivers was painful.   Otherwise the C1 was binary compatible with the
rpi.  Of coarse there is the wandboard too, which is a good product,
albeit much more expensive