Jeff07971 wrote:
> @psketch
>
> Confirmed, same behavior with Pi2 B v1.1
>
> Jeff

Thanks @Jeff.  OK, done a bit more digging and got to the bottom of it.
When you do a fresh 3.5.0 install and then install lirc, or do a
remove/reinstall of lirc after an insitu upgrade, the directory
/var/run/lirc isn't being created.  Then, when lirc is loaded, it can't
create lircd.pid in that directory and so fails to load.  To prove this,
I did

    sudo lircd -n -d /dev/lirc1

--------------------

gives the "can't create lircd.pid" error.  But

  sudo mkdir -p /var/run/lirc

  sudo lircd -n -d /dev/lirc1

lirc runs fine, and if I run irw in a separate window I can see the key
presses.  Doesn't do any good of course since jivelite doesn't know
about this - wrong mapping or something.  So, I went back to a clean
3.22 install, reconfigured it, and upgraded again to 3.5.0.  The
underlying cause of my problem was that for some reason, my IR device
changed from being on lirc1 on 3.22, but on lirc0 on 3.5.0.  So, post
the upgrade, quick change and all working again.  However, for Paul,
when you add lirc on 3.5.0, it's missing the step to create the
/var/run/lirc directory.