Hi Greg,
thanks for your explanation.

As far as I know, the only real difference between the Zero and other
PI's with audio out is the missing high/low pass filters and the audio
jack. So my approach was to use the standard Analog.conf and modify it
to use the pwm-2chan overlay:

    [COMMON]
  CARD="ALSA"
  OUTPUT="hw:CARD=ALSA"
  ALSA_PARAMS="80:::1"
  SSET="PCM"
  GENERIC_CARD="ONBOARD"
  DTOVERLAY="pwm-2chan"
  CONTROL_PAGE="soundcard_control.cgi"
  LISTNAME="Analog audio Pi Zero"
  PARAMS1="pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4"
  SHAIRPORT_OUT="hw:CARD=ALSA"
  SHAIRPORT_CONTROL=""
  RPI_MODEL="HAT_ALL_NO_HAT"

I played a little with the params for dtoverlay but I had no success.
Unfortunately, due to my restricted available time, I am not really in
the mood for hours and hours of investigation and searching for what is
wrong in the setup.
So unless someone knows whats wrong or has a good idea, I am thinking
about buying an already supported DAC.