hi Matt,

Thanks for posting an alternative method.

We tend not to modify the standard piCore scripts unless absolutely
necessary. I am not sure is if getTime.sh is standard in TinyCore, but
for whatever reason the piCore guys deliberately decided not to
daemonize ntpd.

Also, we try not have extra processes running. Ironically, the method I
posted, I had to start crond which we only recently disabled by default.
:(

The ideal solution depends on how much time drift you are getting over a
24 hour period and how important exact time is to you.

The "piCore way" of setting the ntpserver is through a bootcode. See
[Main Page] in [Beta] mode > [Extras] > [Bootcodes].

/etc/sysconfig/ntpserver is updated during the boot process by
/etc/init.d/tc-config.

regards
Greg