I made a stick out of Roobarb's new 8GB Bionic image, and I ran through
the 'same steps'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110040-Jivelite-on-a-Joggler&p=932008&viewfull=1#post932008)
that I'd used on the earlier 'Trusty' image.  I didn't install
wpasupplicant (the second step in my list), and I didn't install xinit
(I think! - I'd need to the whole thing again to be sure that I didn't
accidentally paste that command in), as both seem to be there already.
After those steps I can start Jivelite exactly as before:

    sudo -E xinit /home/joggler/jivelite/bin/jivelite

There are some differences though.  The /etc/network/interfaces file is
empty, so network connections in this build are evidently managed in a
different way - hence I'm only running 'wired' at the moment.  Also,
/etc/rc.local is empty, so I need to look into how to autostart JiveLite
again.

But it's progress.  I perhaps have a binary now that can be transferred
to the smaller 1GB 'internal' image, provided I can get the necessary
libraries moved over as well.