I tried an in-situ update from 4.x to 5.0 ... and Squeezelite fails to
start.

In my case - I have it set to output to a Bluetooth speaker (an Amazon
Echo).

I see

  tc@PiTouch:~$ /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "PiTouch" -o BTSpeaker -a 80:::0
-r 44100 -v -C 2
  [16:53:06.697607] test_open:281 playback open error: No such device or address
  [16:53:06.697732] output_init_common:391 unable to open output device:
BTSpeaker

--------------------

but ...

  tc@PiTouch:~$ /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "PiTouch" -l
  Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate
zero samples (capture)
  BTSpeaker                      - BT Speaker
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio
Device
  sysdefault:CARD=CODEC          - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - Default Audio
Device
  front:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0         - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround21:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround
output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
  surround40:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround
output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround
output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround
output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround
output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround
output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0        - USB AUDIO  CODEC, USB Audio - IEC958
(S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I suspect that something failed to download in the update process - I
saw what looked like a couple of errors flash by.
The browser cleared so I could not capture them.

Is the installation log copied away somewhere so that it can be
reviewed?

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin