I am switching on and off the piCorePlayer with a combination of
Homekit/Homebridge/Harmony Hub.
I have an action in Harmony Hub which switches on my stereo system and
programs the remote for piCorePlayer (I have a Flirc attached).
When this action is switched on I have a Homekit rule that switches on a
WIFI socket via Homebridge where the piCorePlayer is attached.

When the action is switched of the stereo system is switched of
immediately and I send a command to the piCorePlayer via ssh (pcp bs)
and I am starting a timer (30s).
When this timer fires, I am sitching off the WIFI socket.

This works very good and you can also use Siri to start and stop
piCorePlayer if you want.