Greg Erskine wrote:
> hi Zabizabo,
>
> I haven't followed your problem too closely but... here's the very
> simple process I use. YMMV.
>
> 1. Create new pCP image.
> 2. Create wpa_supplicant.conf on boot partition.
> 3. Only add 2 lines to wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ssid="wirelessSSID"
> psk="wirelessPASSWORD"
>
> Note: I use a macro in Notepad++ to create this file. It does add an
> additional blank line at the end.
>
> 4. Save wpa_supplicant.conf and unmount SD card.
> 5. Stick SD card into RPi and boot. (DO NOT plug ethernet in)
>
> pCP will create a "proper" wpa_supplicant.conf that will work 99% of the
> time from your minimal wpa_supplicant.conf.
>
> It should now just work!
>
> Now, after it is successful, if you want to have a more secure solution,
> go into the Wifi web page fill in the password and country, press [Save]
> and pCP will change the password to a passphrase and add the country
> code to wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> I have used this method hundreds of times and it has been tested upto
> piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b2
>
> Is your RPi4B one of the newer 4Gb v1.2 model by any chance?
>
> regards
> Greg

I looked at this the other day whilst following Zabizabo's problem and
tried to re-create/test but had all sorts of issues (similar and worse)
and like Zabizabo could not get the wireless to work, however I was
using a PoE hat so attributed most of my problem to that and the fact I
couldn't remove the ethernet cable.

I re-visited it tonight having purchased USB C PSU - my original build
was completely screwed up from playing around the other day, stuck on
"Maintained by user", both wired and wireless interfaces were reporting
the same mac address and I still could not connect over wifi... so I
started again with a fresh image.

What I've found is the above method does not quite work (unless I'm
reading it wrong)...

My setup: 4Gb Rpi 4B (Not sure if it is a v1.2, but got it a couple of
weeks ago)
I tried piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b7 and piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b9
Using TextEdit on a mac to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf.sample file in
the boot partition

The issue I found was around the quotes in the boot partition
wpa_supplicant.conf, I think Paul said no quotes around the country
code, that's fine, but if as the sample file and everyone's instructions
imply the ssid and psk should have quotes around them, then that didn't
work for me...

from Greg's post above...

ssid="wirelessSSID"
psk="wirelessPASSWORD"

For me this resulted in a saved ssid of "wirelessSSID", so the Pi is
trying to connect to a network called "wirelessSSID" not wirelessSSID
So i removed the quotes from ssid= and psk=

That resolved the ssid issue, but now the psk was populating the PSK
passphrase box not the PSK password box, hadn't seen that before I
removed the quotes so I put them back in for psk and it all worked as
expected. (maybe because my WPA passcode contains underscores _ and full
stops . ???)

So in summary this is what worked for me in the boot partition
wpa_supplicant.conf

country=GB
ssid=wirelessSSID
psk="wirelessPASSWORD"

Having seen the state of my build after testing/playing around with this
the other day I would also agree with Paul's and Greg's advice to start
from scratch with a freshly created image.

Hope this helps

Kev